FLASHBACK: Porto Put To The Sword By Lord Bendtner

Arsenal last faced Porto in 2010 in the round of 16 of the Champions League. It was a tie that would see both the best and worst of Arsenal but one that was ultimately memorable, not least because of a hat-trick from a certain Dane.

First Leg
As Arsenal headed to Estadio de Dragao for the first leg, they would have felt positive of claiming a positive result ahead of the return leg. However, with an extensive injury list that included Manuel Almunia, Andrei Anrshavin, William Gallas and Alex Song, they knew it was going to be a tough night.

Arsenal were behind within 11 minutes, when Lukasz Fabianski misjudged a Silvestre Valera cross and inadvertently forced it over the line. A disastrous start for The Gunners.

Despite this, they were level soon after through Sol Campbell, who had recently re-signed for the club on a short-term deal. Fabregas delivered a corner for Thomas Vermaelen to flick on. Tomas Rosicky then returned the ball to a dangerous area, where Campbell was on hand to head home from two yards. The goal was his first for the club since the 2006 final against Barcelona. 

The goal seemed to calm the visitors down, and they will have felt they could of had a penalty when Rosicky was brought down in the penalty area. Nothing was given, despite the claims of the Arsenal players. 

Just six minutes into the second half, the hosts got the goal that would ultimately give them the advantage to take to The Emirates. Fabianski was adjudged to have picked up a back pass from Campbell, and the referee ordered the Polish goalkeeper to return the ball. 

With Fabianski out of position, Porto took a quick free kick which allowed Radamel Falcao to tap home. A controversial goal to once again give Arsenal a mountain to climb.

Arsenal tried to find a way back into the game but the hosts stood firm, taking a crucial advantage into the second leg. The Gunners knew however, that their away goal could be pivotal. 

Second Leg
Arsenal welcomed their Portuguese counterparts to The Emirates knowing that a 1-0 win would be enough for them to take their place in the quarter finals. 

Just 25 minutes in though, they already had more than that. The returning Andrei Arshavin twice provided for Bendtner to prod home to put the hosts in sight of the next round. 

Samir Nasri then added a wonderful individual goal at the start of the second half to make absolutely sure of their passage. Collecting the ball on the right-hand side of the Porto box, the Frenchman beat three players before hitting a shot off the far post. A memorable strike fitting of the Frenchman's performance.

Just three minutes later and it got even better for Arsenal. A swift counter-attack saw the Emmanuel Eboue played through. He rounded the goalkeeper and rolled the ball into an empty net. Now there was no doubt whatsoever that Arsenal were heading through. 

As the game ticked towards it's conclusion, there was still time for Bendtner to clinch his hat-trick in stoppage time. Eboue was brought down in the box, and the Dane made no mistake to complete a fine night's work from the penalty spot.