REPORT: Sp*rs 2-3 Arsenal - North London Is Red

Arsenal survived a late fightback from Sp*rs to clinch a 3-2 win in the North London Derby. 

An own goal by Pierre-Emile Højbjerg followed by strikes from Bukayo Saka and Kai Havertz put Arsenal into a commanding lead, before Cristian Romero and a late penalty from Son Heung-min  madenit an uncomfortable ending for The Gunners.

The win restored Arsenal's lead to four points at the top of the table before Manchester City responded with a win over Nottingham Forest to reduce the gap to a single point.

Fast Opening

Arsenal had the ball in the net through Havertz, but his effort was ruled out for offside. However, The Gunners found the breakthrough in the 14th minute, as Saka's corner was headed into his own net by Højbjerg. 

Sp*rs responded by testing from a set piece of their own, as Romero saw a header clip the outside of the post. Micky van de Ven then thought he had found the crucial equaliser with a smart finish after a ball into the box had been recycled, only for VAR to intervene and adjudge him to have been in an offside position. 

It proved to be a pivotal moment in the game. The hosts had some claims for a penalty before Arsenal countered. Havertz played a ball over the top for Saka, who moved into the box before working space and finishing into the bottom left corner.

Eleven minutes later and it got even better for the travelling supporters. Declan Rice whipped a dangerous corner into the box, where Havertz was on hand to nod home and make it three. A devastating blow to the hosts.

Fight Back

As the second half resumed, Arsenal threatened to run riot as Saka was denied a second at the far post by Vicario.

Sp*rs rallied though and soon had a route back into the game through Romero. David Raya produced an uncharacteristic mistake with his feet to present the Argentine with an opportunity, which he finished confidently. Now the hosts had something to cling onto.

With just five minutes on the clock, it really was game on, as VAR intervened to award the hosts a penalty. Rice attempted to clear but made contact with Ben Davies, leaving the referee with no alternative upon second viewing.

Son stepped up and made no mistake from the spot, setting up a grand stand finish.

The hosts continued to press but couldn't create anything of note as Arsenal saw out the remaining minutes in typically resolute style.

Next Up

Arsenal know that they need City to slipnup if they are to be crowned Champions, but all they can do is keep winning their games.

Attention now turns to Bournemouth at home next Saturday, where Arsenal will aim to keep the pressure on City at the top of the table.